Flatpack Projects and Birmingham-based youth engagement agency Beatfreeks are joining forces to present Build Your Own Film Night, a series of workshops designed to give 16-25 year olds the tools and knowledge they need to run their own film societies, pop-up screenings and community cinema projects.
This special series of events aims to offer young people in the West Midlands the advice and support they need to put on their own local film events, as well as picking up a range of useful skills and tips along the way. If you’re interested to find out more about Build Your Own Film Night do get in touch:[email protected]
The workshops will cover the basics of:
- Research and curation – advice on tracking down great content, developing themes, accessing archives, and combining film with other elements like performance, DJs and discussion.
- Licensing and copyright – the nitty-gritty on getting permission to screen films to the public.
- Venues and technical – picking the right venue and ensuring it’s somewhere people will go. Setting up a screen, projector, PA and compiling all the content for a seamless event.
- PR and promotion – generating hype around the event and getting people through the door.
- Event production – being organised, planning a schedule, managing the budget, recruiting volunteers, setting up the venue, health and safety and so on.