*SUBMISSIONS FOR THE 2018 FESTIVAL ARE NOW CLOSED. LOOK OUT FOR WHEN THEY OPEN AGAIN IN THE SUMMER FOR FLATPACK 2019.*
**Great news. Submissions are currently OPEN. Read on to see how you could win one of our competition prizes and get your mitts on a lovely oversized allen key trophy.**
“Britain’s most exciting and innovative film festival” (Lonely Planet) is once again open for submissions, so if you have a brilliant short film or an audio-visual performance of some kind (see the bottom of the page for info about performances and installations)*, take a look at the details below, complete the form and we’ll be in touch in the new year to let you know whether your work has been selected or not. As always the programme will celebrate film and the moving image in all its permutations, from animated curiosities, to weird and wonderful music promos, to celluloid installations, to cerebral video essays, with just about everything in between. The festival takes place in venues all over Birmingham, UK, and runs from 13-22 April 2018.
Our short film strand currently has 6 coveted awards up for grabs:
– the Short Film Award – recognises the most outstanding piece of work across all genres. Selected by the short film jury;
– the WTF Award – hails the film which is the most innovative and extraordinary. It recognises vision, boldness, and originality. Selected by the short film jury;
– the Audience Award – the crowds’ favourite;
– the Colour Box Award – celebrating the best short in our family programme awarded by the Colour Box jury;
– the Colour Box Audience Award – the kids’ favourite.
– the Optical Sound Short Film Award – awarded to the best audio related short film *NEW AWARD FOR 2018
The film selected by the short film jury as the winner of the Short Film Award will receive £1,000. All successful submissions will be included in the programme at Flatpack no.12.
Submissions should be:
– films under 20 minutes long;
– completed since January 2016;
– fully cleared, including any music rights.
We screen all types and genres of film but you can see the previous winners from the last five festivals here: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013. If you’d like to submit, please complete the form below and you’ll be redirected to paypal to make the £10 submission payment. Please note that any submissions received without the £10 fee will not be considered.
The film should be viewable online. If you need to send us another format please get in touch before submitting. The deadline for submissions
is 11:59pm on Sunday 14 January 2018 has now closed. The full programme will be announced in March 2018 and we’ll let you know whether you have been successful or not before the programme goes live.
If you have a performance or installation that you think might float our boat, drop us a line at [email protected]. You can see some of the performances and installations we’ve exhibited previously by searching through our site – our Optical Sound strand may be of particular interest to those with a music or sound-related performance.