Submissions for Flatpack 2022 are now closed.
Our 16th festival takes place 17-22 May 2022 and we're now accepting all types and genres of films to be considered for the 2022 programme. We are a BAFTA Qualifying Festival, so not only will successful submissions earn a place in our shorts programme - they could also go on to win a BAFTA!
There are plenty of cash prizes up for grabs, and following the success of last year's 'mid-length film' category we'll once again be accepting films between 20-40mins - for those stories that just can't be told in under 20 minutes...
Read on for an overview of our categories, cash prizes and what you can submit, or head straight to our FilmFreeway page:
Short and Mid-Length Film Submissions
Shorts submissions are largely the same as previous festivals, but as mentioned above you can now submit mid-length films too. Here are the key facts:
- Films need to be completed after January 2020 and must be under 20 minutes long for the short film catgeory and between 20-40 minutes for the mid-length category;
- Earlybird deadline is 11:59pm, Friday 31 December 2021 and the final deadline is 11:59pm, Monday 31 January 2022;
- Seven awards up for grabs including cash prizes for the best short award, the screendance award, the Optical Sound Short Film Award, the Colour Box Award, the Mid-Length Film Award and the WTF award;
- Submission fees for short films are £15 before 31 December and £20 after, and £20 for mid-length films before 31 December, and £25 after
The Short Film Award
Recognises the most outstanding piece of work across all genres.
Selected by the short film jury (£1,000 CASH PRIZE)
The WTF Award
Hails the film which is the most innovative and extraordinary. It recognises vision, boldness, and originality.
Selected by the short film jury (£500 CASH PRIZE)
The Audience Award
The crowds’ favourite.
The Optical Sound Short Film Award
The very best short selected from our music/sound/audio-inspired strand
(£300 CASH PRIZE)
The Screendance Award
The best short selected from our strand incorporating dance and movement
(£500 CASH PRIZE)
The Mid-length Film Award
The best film over 20 minutes
(£300 CASH PRIZE)
The Colour Box Award
Celebrating the best short in our family programme
Awarded by the Colour Box jury (£300 CASH PRIZE)
The Colour Box Audience Award
The kids’ favourite.
Live Performance Submissions
We're very interested in artists who delve into the unpredictable world of making images move in a live setting. From live animation using turntables to live musical scores to silent films, we’re a broad church when it comes to live performance.
The key things to know before submitting:
- The work has to have some relation to film, cinema, the moving image. It’s worth exploring our previous festival programmes to see the type of work we have shown in the past;
- The work doesn’t have to be brand new;
- There is no submission fee.
Please get in contact with us here if you have something to submit. Please note the deadline for live performance submissions is 11:59pm, Friday 31 December 2021.