Our general submissions for Flatpack 2024 are now closed, but if you're aged 16-25 and based in the UK, you can still submit your short film to our Short & Suite programme. Visit our Short & Suite Film Freeway Page for more information.
Our 18th festival takes place 10-19 May 2024 and we're now accepting all types and genres of short films to be considered for the 2024 programme. We are a BAFTA Qualifying Festival, so not only will successful submissions earn a place in our shorts programme - they could also go on to win a BAFTA!
Read on for an overview of our categories, cash prizes and what you can submit, or head straight to our FilmFreeway page:
- Submissions need to have been completed since January 2022 and must be under 20 minutes long;
- Earlybird deadline is 11:59pm, Sunday 10 December 2023 and the final deadline is 11:59pm, Sunday 21 January 2024;
- Eight awards up for grabs including cash prizes for the Best Short Award, the Screendance Award, the Optical Sound Short Film Award, the Colour Box Award, the WTF award, and the Reel Brum Award;
- Submission fees are £21 before 10 December and £26 after or £16/21 for Film Freeway Gold Members;
- If you're looking to submit a live audiovisual performance, installation, exhibition, or anything else which doesn't fit under the category of 'short film', get in touch with email@example.com for further instructions.
The Short Film Award
Recognises the most outstanding piece of work across all genres.
Selected by the short film jury (£1,000 CASH PRIZE)
The WTF Award
Hails the film which is the most innovative and extraordinary. It recognises vision, boldness, and originality.
Selected by the short film jury (£500 CASH PRIZE)
The Audience Award
The crowds’ favourite.
The Optical Sound Short Film Award
The very best short selected from our music/sound/audio-inspired strand
(£300 CASH PRIZE)
The Screendance Award
The best short selected from our strand incorporating dance and movement
(£500 CASH PRIZE)
The Colour Box Award
Celebrating the best short in our family programme
Awarded by the Colour Box jury (£300 CASH PRIZE)
The Colour Box Audience Award
The kids’ favourite.
The Reel Brum Award
The best short film from the West Midlands (either shot in the West Midlands or 50% of cast and crew are from the West Midlands)
(£500 CASH PRIZE sponsored by The Old Crown)